SEA/SEIU Local 1984 endorses Bernie Sanders
On Tuesday, Feb. 11, the eyes of the world will be on the state of New Hampshire. We have the opportunity to shape the race for president, and start us on a path toward electing a leader that will fight to create a country that works for everyone.
With that in mind and with much consideration, SEA/SEIU Local 1984 announced on Jan. 13 that our Board of Directors approved the endorsement of Sen. Bernie Sanders for president.
About the decision
The vote to endorse came following the recommendation of the union’s Political Education Committee, which set out early on in the process to engage candidates on union issues. (Click here to read to Sen. Sanders’ answers on a questionnaire developed by the PoliEd Committee and distributed to all presidential candidates.)
Ultimately, it came down to two questions: which candidate has a proven track record of supporting working men and women and which candidate can we most trust to have our backs when it counts.
On both questions, Sanders stood head and shoulders above the rest. Sen. Sanders is an uncompromising fighter for working people. He has stood with us time and again, and he’s made our struggle the fight of his lifetime.
This endorsement is about lifting the voices of all workers because unions are about coming together. We are excited to stand arm in arm with Sen. Sanders and we hope you will stand with us.
- Media release: SEA/SEIU Local 1984 endorses Bernie Sanders
- Primary Town Hall: Bernie Sanders joins members for Town Hall event
- State Contract Rally: At rally for state employees, Sanders says workers deserve wage hike and ‘respect’
- Rockingham County Organizing: Sanders lifts Rockingham County workers’ voices ahead of vote on union
- SEA/SEIU Local 1984 Primary 2020: Event recaps and more information
Endorsement press coverage:
You can watch video of our endorsement press conference below: